Re: How to disable org-persist in a given file?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: How to disable org-persist in a given file?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 13:54:37 +0000

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2023 at 07:55, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for letting us know about this scenario!
>
> Yes, but there's little Emacs/Org can do there, I think. Once the
> volume is mounted, there's no way to tell it is meant to be treated as
> an encrypted file.

We can try (string-match mounted-file-systems default-directory).
Will it work with your setup?

>> You can use `org-persist-before-write-hook' to disable writing
>> selectively.
>
> Thanks! That's the one. Though it would be nice if a variable existed
> for the purpose. `(add-hook 'org-persist-before-write-hook (lambda
> (&rest _args) t) nil t)' is not our average file local variable. :)

We cannot just disable persistence completely.
For example, remote image export relies on persistence to be working
_during_ Emacs session.

What about file/directory-local variable that will redirect where to
save cache?

> ... I think this would deserve an
> entry in the manual (as far as I can tell, currently there isn't one,
> but I'm running built-in on 29, so I might be out of date), letting
> people know it is enabled by default, and how to opt out, if they want
> to. As my scenario above shows, there's little hope of being able to
> cover "all cases", and people must take care of that for themselves
> within reason. All Org can do is let people know, and on security
> related issues, better be outspoken than shy.

I think we can add a section near "Code Evaluation and Security Issues".

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,