Re: Why am I being told to use "straight.el"?

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Why am I being told to use "straight.el"?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 22:53:36 +0700

On 22/04/2023 14:51, Colin Baxter wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

     > On 21/04/2023 23:17, Colin Baxter wrote:

     >     emacs -Q -l org-agenda

Only message and scratch buffers present.

C-h e to check messages, but since errors or warnings buffer does not appear it should be OK.

     >> 1. emacs <RET>

     > Till `org-reload' C-c C-x ! at the step 10 org is not
     > involved. Does you init file loads some Org component or some Org
     > buffer is created at startup? To be sure

     >     M-: (featurep 'org)

"No match."

I would expect either nil or t. Did you press M-x that is `execute-extended-command' instead of M-: that is `eval-expression'? Alternatively you may execute in in the *scratch* buffer

    (featurep 'org)

and C-j or C-x C-e when cursor is immediately after the closing parenthesis.

     >> 2. M-x vc-dir <RET> 3. Navigate to ~/git/org-mode.  4. + (to
     >> pull) 5. M-x compile <RET> 6. make clean <RET> 7. make <RET>

In the case of build org-mode, I first select "make clean" from the
history of "M-x compile". Then I do "M-x compile" again and select "make"
from the history. The effect is the same using the terminal, except the
outputs are now contained in emacs buffers.

Thank you for explanation. For some reason I believed that M-x compile invokes make without additional prompt. So

    make clean; make

sounds perfectly reasonable.

     >> 8. In an eshell buffer navigate to ~/git/emacs/lisp.
     >> Typo! I meant navigate to ~/git/org-mode/lisp.
     >> 9. rm *.elc <RET>

     > Why did you decided to manually delete *.elc files? I have lost at
     > which step you got the warning. I expect that "make clean" should
     > remove .elc files.

If I don't delete the elc files in ~/git/org-mode/lisp after the first
build then I do get errors.

Do you mean that it happens on each update? No .elc files should survive "make clean". I have not tried to reproduce it accordingly to your steps, but I have seen something strange related to .el and .elc files while experimenting with package.el.

https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#orgd21575b
"Compatibility and Convenience" and
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#keeping-current-with-Org-mode-development
suggests that

    make uncompiled

may be a shorter path to the same point.

However accordingly to your description I expect that you do not have Org loaded yet. If you can not load compiled org now it should cause an error after emacs restart as well.

     > Is org-loaddefs loaded from ~/git/org-mode/lisp? It is a sanity
     > check for working Org and more interesting when it is broken.

I think it must be because ~/git/org-mode/ is the first org-mode found
and not the org-mode within emacs itself. How can I check?

(car (assoc "/org-loaddefs.el" load-history (lambda (a b) (string-match-p b a))))

Evaluate it e.g. in the *scratch* buffer by C-j

I removed parts of your message where I do not have questions concerning provided info. Thank you for it.

You enumerated 16 steps, but It is still unclear to me at which one you got the warning mentioning straight.el. Sorry for annoyance. Certainly you need working Org, but I am interested in a recipe that leads to broken state despite it looks like a valid way to update org.