Re: [ANN] org-jami-bot

From: Hanno Perrey
Subject: Re: [ANN] org-jami-bot
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 09:44:26 +0200

>Hanno, this is brilliant.
>
>I rely heavily on using XMPP notifications with my Emacs/Org setup for
>appointments. I run a local program for send-xmpp to fire off messages
>that alert my multiple PC's and my cell phone on my XMPP account.
>
>I hadn't considered sending data BACK. That's awesome!
>
>How hard would it be to port this to a message agnostic style where
>other methods could be used?
>
>I've used Jami before, but I consider it VOIP software trying to
>become messenger, where XMPP is messenger trying to become VOIP. I've
>had battery problems in the past with Jami, but that was back when it
>was called Ring.
>
>I may have to try and adapt this to my workflow.

Hej Russell!

Thank you! I am very glad that you liked the idea and consider adding it to
your workflow!

With some refactoring, it should absolutely be possible to make the bot and
capturing more protocol-agnostic. The stack would be more like
jami.el/xmpp.el->chat-bot.el->org-capture-bot.el

So some more abstraction would be needed but it could be doable without too
much work and make sense from a code re-usability perspective.

Do you know of a maintained XMPP client written in Elisp to start looking into?

I'd be happy to discuss this in mode detail with you if you are up for working
together in this direction! :)

Best wishes,
Hanno