Re: [ANN] org-jami-bot

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [ANN] org-jami-bot
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 14:07:16 +0200

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 09:22:48PM +0200, Hanno Perrey wrote:

> Dear fellow org-users,
>
> I have just released two new packages that scratch an old itch of mine:
> capturing thoughts, quick notes and URLs while "on the road" with only
> my mobile phone around. Messaging myself feels most natural, so that is
> what I went with: triggering a capture via GNU Jami, the distributed
> private messenger.
>
> The first package, =jami-bot= provides something of a framework to
> handle incoming text and file messages. =org-jami-bot= provides hooks
> and functions that extend this to Org mode captures. Any text or file is
> being captured, but even simple commands (prefixed with '!') are
> possible, for example:

Hanno, this is brilliant.

I rely heavily on using XMPP notifications with my Emacs/Org setup for
appointments. I run a local program for send-xmpp to fire off messages
that alert my multiple PC's and my cell phone on my XMPP account.

I hadn't considered sending data BACK. That's awesome!

How hard would it be to port this to a message agnostic style where
other methods could be used?

I've used Jami before, but I consider it VOIP software trying to
become messenger, where XMPP is messenger trying to become VOIP. I've
had battery problems in the past with Jami, but that was back when it
was called Ring.

I may have to try and adapt this to my workflow.

Thanks for sharing!

                                    https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/