[ANN] org-jami-bot

From: Hanno Perrey
Subject: [ANN] org-jami-bot
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 21:22:48 +0200

Dear fellow org-users,

I have just released two new packages that scratch an old itch of mine:
capturing thoughts, quick notes and URLs while "on the road" with only
my mobile phone around. Messaging myself feels most natural, so that is
what I went with: triggering a capture via GNU Jami, the distributed
private messenger.

The first package, =jami-bot= provides something of a framework to
handle incoming text and file messages. =org-jami-bot= provides hooks
and functions that extend this to Org mode captures. Any text or file is
being captured, but even simple commands (prefixed with '!') are
possible, for example:

#+begin_example
!schedule monday
buy oat milk
#+end_example

Schedules a todo entry for next monday.

#+begin_example
!url blog emacs news
https://sachachua.com/blog/2023/04/2023-04-17-emacs-news/
#+end_example

Uses =org-capture-ref= to capture the URL and tags it with
:blog:emacs:news:.

This last command is technically not part of =org-jami-bot= as it
requires =org-capture-ref= to be installed and configured -- but it only
takes relatively little code to realize and I have documented it in a
blog post: https://www.hoowl.se/org-capture-ref-jami-bot.html

Further extensions are quite easily possible, I believe.

More examples and detailed documentation can be found here:
https://www.hoowl.se/org-jami-bot.html

The code to both packages will eventually be on Melpa, but for now it
can be found here:
https://gitlab.com/hperrey/jami-bot
https://gitlab.com/hperrey/org-jami-bot

Feedback, comments and ideas for further development are welcome!

Thanks and cheers,

Hanno

--
Hanno Perrey