Re: Command not found when using Org + Guix + envrc.el

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Command not found when using Org + Guix + envrc.el
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 10:35:50 +0000

Fabio Natali <me@fabionatali.com> writes:

> - Emacs and Org
> - Guix, to install the dependencies and create a development environment
> - direnv, to automatically load the Guix environment
> - envrc.el, to use direnv from Emacs
> However, things don't work as expected when using emacsclient with an
> existing Emacs server. Thanks to envrc.el the Guix environment gets
> apparently activated in the buffer, as confirmed by the envrc flag in
> the modeline and by the output of =(getenv "PATH")=. However, evaluating
> the block results in the following error:
>
> #+begin_quote
> /bin/bash: line 1: python: command not found
> [ Babel evaluation exited with code 127 ]
> #+end_quote

An ugly workaround could be using :python header argument to explicitly
set the python path.

Org babel uses a temporary buffer + `process-file' to evaluate code
blocks with no session. The current directory is being set by
let-binding `default-directory'. You can look into
`org-babel-execute-src-block' (sets `default-directory') ->
"(funcall cmd body params)" -> `org-babel-execute:python' ->
`org-babel-python-evaluate' ->
`org-babel-python-evaluate-external-process' -> `org-babel-eval' ->
`org-babel--shell-command-on-region' -> `process-file' call chain and
check where the envrc settings get lost.

I am unsure how and why the Org's approach is not working together with
envrc.el. It might be helpful to add envrc devs into the loop or debug
things yourself.

> Tangentially, if the block's header includes =:session=, as in
> =#+begin_src python :session=, then the error is slightly different and
> is displayed in the minibuffer as opposed to a separate buffer:
>
> #+begin_quote
> make-process--with-editor-process-filter: Searching for program: No such file
> or directory, python
> #+end_quote

This looks like "with-editor" package doing something funny. Not Org.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,