Re: [BUG] ox-md image captions

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] ox-md image captions
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 10:04:52 +0000

Morgan Willcock <morgan@ice9.digital> writes:

>> https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#img
>>
>> Therefore, Org mode is doing everything right within the scope of MD
>> specification we follow. Pandoc does not.
>
> I don't think that Markdown has a single specification.

Indeed. And the one in daringfireball is what we historically follow
since >10 years ago, when ox-md has been implemented.

> Perhaps it is a bug that ox-md is not following a specification, and
> this would be fixed by using a specification and passing its test suite:

Please provide concrete examples where ox-md does not follow
specification.

The title/caption issue herein does not qualify.
https://spec.commonmark.org/0.30/#images also defines
![foo](/url "title") with "title" being the title, as we currently use
it in ox-md when exporting captions.

> https://commonmark.org/

I agree that using CommonMark.org as the source of truth will make more
sense, given that the original daringfireball.net is not precise.

It would be helpful if someone examines whether ox-md is consistent with
CommonMark.

> However, if ox-md is intentionally trying to match the behaviour of the
> original Markdown.pl, the Pandoc format that matches this is
> "markdown_strict" and not "markdown".
>
> i.e. Pandoc's "markdown" format is not the same format which is
> described at daringfireball.net:
>
> https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#pandocs-markdown

Indeed. ox-md is certainly not aiming to export to Pandoc's markdown
flavour.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,