Re: [BUG] ox-md image captions

From: Morgan Willcock
Subject: Re: [BUG] ox-md image captions
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2023 10:43:44 +0100

> Upon further investigation, I have found that our base MD reference we
> follow in ox-md is defining image syntax as the following:
>
> ![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg)
>
> ![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg "Optional title")
>
> https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#img
>
> Therefore, Org mode is doing everything right within the scope of MD
> specification we follow. Pandoc does not.

I don't think that Markdown has a single specification.

Perhaps it is a bug that ox-md is not following a specification, and
this would be fixed by using a specification and passing its test suite:

https://commonmark.org/

However, if ox-md is intentionally trying to match the behaviour of the
original Markdown.pl, the Pandoc format that matches this is
"markdown_strict" and not "markdown".

i.e. Pandoc's "markdown" format is not the same format which is
described at daringfireball.net:

https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#pandocs-markdown

--
Morgan Willcock