Re: [BUG] ox-md image captions

From: Vladimir Alexiev
Subject: Re: [BUG] ox-md image captions
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2023 22:34:16 +0300

Maybe an option?

Saying "pandoc is in the wrong" doesn't do much to resolve the issue.

Despite my enormous love for orgmode, Pandoc is used a lot more widely for scholarly publishing and interactive websites. See Quarto and Manubot.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023, 11:46 Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> I am inclined to change ![img](url "caption") to
> ![caption](url) for links without description (links with description do
> not obey caption in org export).
>
> Any objections?

Upon further investigation, I have found that our base MD reference we
follow in ox-md is defining image syntax as the following:

![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg)

![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg "Optional title")

https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#img

Therefore, Org mode is doing everything right within the scope of MD
specification we follow. Pandoc does not.

In fact, looking closer at https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#images, I find
it very strange that alt text is used as image caption, not actual
title. In HTML, alt text is supposed to be displayed *instead* of the
image if the image cannot be viewed -- a feature often used as the base
of accessibility for blind users. See
https://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/att_alt.asp

Therefore, I see no bug on Org side.
Canceled.