Re: [FR] Allow to #+include files verbatim without any processing (was:

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FR] Allow to #+include files verbatim without any processing (was: Have export treat file: paths in INCLUDED file relative to the INCLUDING file's dir)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 09:18:21 +0000

gnuric@pm.me writes:

> Hi Ihor,
> Thanks for your reply and clarification on what Timothy meant.
>
> 1. Is there a general workaround that could be used as of now?

Nothing great. You may have to use a custom macro, but you will then
miss auto adjustment of heading levels and other #+INCLUDE features.

A bit more dramatic would be advising `org-export--update-included-link'
with :around advice #'ignore. That will skip link updates completely.

> 2. Is there something I can do to help with a :dir or similar option's
> development? I have some (very) basic knowledge of lisp.

You can look into `org-export--prepare-file-contents' that is doing all
the processing of the included files. It will have to be modified to
take the new options. The options are parsed by
`org-export-expand-include-keyword'.

If you have experience with other programming languages, things should
not be too hard - just follow the existing code.

> 3. If it helps, this behavior has changed since (at least) Org
> 9.1.9-65-g5e4542, which is the default distributed with GNU Emacs 26.3. With
> that Org, export to html took the links in the #+INCLUDE'd .org files as
> being relative to the includer's dir (i.e., the PARENT .org file's dir),
> which I consider 'verbatim' inclusion.

This behaviour is not documented and not defined.
The relative file link resolution was requested in
https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-orgmode/2019-02/msg00103.html and then
implemented in 931b7b8faf9.

Note that #+INCLUDE generally assumes regular Org files and the new
behaviour you stumbled upon makes more sense as the default.

Unfortunately, this change has not been announced in ORG-NEWS.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,