Re: [POLL] Naming of "export features"

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Naming of "export features"
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:27:04 +0000

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

> What benefits does that bring over making enabled features available in
> =info= for the usual transcoders and advising them ?

We should indeed make the features/condition available via info.
However, advising is (1) bad practice unless we have no choice; (2) not
as flexible. I will illustrate below.

> Your initial example of adding a comment to the end and beginning of the
> document can be done by advising, say, =org-latex-template= and
> concatenating some strings with its =content= argument.

What you suggest is indeed an OK alternative for my specific example of
adding text to the beginning/end of the document.

However, it will be much harder to add something in the middle of the
exported contents.

Consider that you want to redefine a LaTeX command after certain
\usepackage{foo} call in LaTeX preamble, but before another
\usepackage{bar} call.

Let's assume that the preamble template has the following:

(:template .
 (...
  (:name 'foo :snippet "\\usepackage{foo}")
  (:name 'bar :snippet "\\usepackage{bar}")
  ...))

Now, we can simply add the following snippet to the template:

(:snippet "<define LaTeX command>" :after 'foo :before 'bar)

and the definition will be automatically inserted at the right place in
the middle of the LaTeX preamble.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,