Re: PROPOSAL: Bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode.
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 13:02:15 -0600

On 23 Feb 2023, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 23/02/2023 00:01, Karl Fogel wrote:
  (when (not (keymap-lookup nil "C-<tab>"))
    (keymap-local-set "C-<tab>" 'org-fold-hide-subtree))
So FWIW C-<tab> is not bound in Org Mode buffers for me, in Emacs
30.x (i.e., recent development builds).

lisp/tab-bar.el:130: (unless (global-key-binding [(control tab)]) lisp/tab-bar.el:131: (global-set-key [(control tab)] #'tab-next))

Minibuffer file cache completion should not be relevant to Org buffers.

Ah, I don't use tab-bar at all (at least not as far as I know), so I'm not 100% sure what the above is saying.

Are you saying that the only current default binding for C-<tab> in Emacs is that one in tab-bar.el, and therefore we should feel free to rebind it in Org Mode? If so, we should still be cautious, since Emacs has policies for maintaining the keybinding space. Generally, the space "C-c C-<LETTER>" is reserved for major modes, so ideally we should find something in there if we can -- although Org Mode has used up a lot of that space already :-), so I'm not sure what's left, unless we decide to swap out some existing binding in favor of this one.

(I realize this contradicts what I said in my inital post. I had forgotten that C-<tab> was not part of the mode-reserved space.)

Best regards,
-Karl