Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Bhavin Gandhi
Subject: Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 22:56:49 +0530

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 at 16:35, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On 27/12/2022 16:47, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> >> Can you then try to test using Emacs 28?
> >> The main question if whether this has been fixed in newer Emacs releases
> >> or it is also something to do with OS environment.
> >
> > I see quite the same issue with Emacs-28.2 in Debian testing. Compile
> > buffer displays a bit more warnings and usual `org-assert-version'
> > warnings and errors are present as well. It might have another level of
> > complexity due to .eln files. I am unsure what happens with calls to
> > undefined macros.
>
> I asked people around to test using Debian, and we do have a
> confirmation that Debian + Emacs 27 and Debian + Emacs 28 do trigger the
> error.
>
> I also installed Debian 11.6.0 on virtual machine, and I was also able to
> trigger the error, following the provided steps, using the Emacs 27
> installed via apt-get.
>
> The problem seems to be real and appears to be some combination of
> Debian/Ubuntu + Emacs.

I'm able to reproduce this on Fedora 37, Emacs 28.2.

In Fedora we have:
- /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el (has code to load .el and .elc
from /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d).
- /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/default.el (sets smime-CA-directory).

There are other patches but most of them are backports and seem to be
unrelated to package.el:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/emacs/tree/rawhide

Steps using with-emacs.sh (https://github.com/alphapapa/with-emacs.sh):

1. mkdir /tmp/emacs-59882
2. with-emacs.sh -d /tmp/emacs-59882 -- -l org
3. M-x package-list-packages
4. Install Org 9.6.1 from ELPA
5. When the package is compiled you get this error at the end (it is
there multiple times)
   ox.el:82:1: Error: Symbol’s function definition is void: org-assert-version
6. Close Emacs and start it again with
   with-emacs.sh -d /tmp/emacs-59882 -- -l org
7. I get byte-code: Invalid function: org-assert-version

--
Bhavin Gandhi (bhavin192) | https://geeksocket.in