Re: Bug: org-latex-export-to-pdf does not remove .tex file [9.4 (9.4-elp

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Bug: org-latex-export-to-pdf does not remove .tex file [9.4 (9.4-elpa @ /home/bruno/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.4/)]
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 18:10:54 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> Even if we used exit code, what would it achieve?
>
> - user wants PDF file
>
> - with exit code other but zero there will be no PDF file

How so? Not in general, but only for certain values of
org-latex-pdf-process.

> - display error or move user straight to LaTeX file to try it out
>   manually or find what is wrong.

It is being done.

> - Here below `latex-function' must return zero and `pdf-file' must
>   exist for system to update it's Hyperlink correctly, and to launch
>   Evince PDF viewer.

I guess having a non-zero return code is indeed an indication of
something being wrong even if pdf is produced.

> - But if error status is not zero, I want to find myself in LaTeX file
>   straight, then I can try C-c C-a to understand why it did not work.

Even if status is 0, you may sometimes still want to find why some
things did not work. ox-latex.el covers this by searching for latex
errors in the logs.

> If I would just assume that `latex' command "just worked", that means
> I am blindly continuing with some other functions thereafter, but that
> would mean I am creating some errors.

You don't. ox-latex tells you if command finished with errors or not.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,