Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 17:21:48 +0300

* Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.online> [2023-02-14 19:50]:
> > What Ihor proposed is time stamp like:
> >
> >  2023-02-14 Tue 12:00:00 +0800 @UTC
> >
> > Though I just say when we put "UTC" that means normally "UTC time
> > zone" and such has no prefix that is positive or negative, can be
> > zero.
>
> Sigh.  UTC is not a time zone.

I cannot know what you mean and in which context.

I can tell you to look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

which is the context for computer time, or TZ database time zones,
where you may find Etc/UTC as time zone.

I can tell that in the context of the PostgreSQL database, "UTC" is
time zone, as following works well:

SELECT current_timestamp AT TIME ZONE 'UTC';

          timezone
----------------------------
 2023-02-16 14:13:37.837977
(1 row)

SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP;

       CURRENT_timestamp
-------------------------------
 2023-02-16 17:13:42.709239+03

There are differen time zones' categories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_time_zones

In military context:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_time_zones

It is called "Zulu Time Zone" or "Z"

Then in this context:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations

There is abbreviation "UTC" if you look there.

So, yes I do agree that UTC is "not time zone", but I do not know in
which context you mean. As in many common contexts the UTC is the time
zone.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns