[BUG] Smart quotes do not work in export when language is en-gb

From: ch . emacs
Subject: [BUG] Smart quotes do not work in export when language is en-gb
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 02:03:17 +0000

Hello,

When exporting a document to LaTeX with smart quotes enabled, I found that this had been ignored (e.g. "hello" vs ``hello'' in the output). I had the document language set to en-gb, which it seems disables smart quotes, as there is no corresponding entry in org-export-smart-quotes alist. This is inconsistent with org-latex-language-alist, which correctly handles the en-gb case for babel and polyglossia.

I did find some old discussion on the ML about how the algorithm may have to be adjusted to accommodate “British style” quoting (single outer and double inner quotes) but failing a consensus on that (I am British but personally do not use that style), I think it at least makes sense to replicate the en(-us) behaviour.

As far as I can tell, this applies to en-au and en-nz too.

Corin Hoad

Emacs : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.36, cairo version 1.16.0) Package: Org mode version 9.6 (9.6-??-bed47b4 @ /home/corin/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-28.2/org/)