Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 07:01:45 +1100

> Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 27/12/2022 16:47, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>> Can you then try to test using Emacs 28?
>>> The main question if whether this has been fixed in newer Emacs releases
>>> or it is also something to do with OS environment.
>>
>> I see quite the same issue with Emacs-28.2 in Debian testing. Compile
>> buffer displays a bit more warnings and usual `org-assert-version'
>> warnings and errors are present as well. It might have another level of
>> complexity due to .eln files. I am unsure what happens with calls to
>> undefined macros.
>
> I asked people around to test using Debian, and we do have a
> confirmation that Debian + Emacs 27 and Debian + Emacs 28 do trigger the
> error.
>
> I also installed Debian 11.6.0 on virtual machine, and I was also able to
> trigger the error, following the provided steps, using the Emacs 27
> installed via apt-get.
>
> The problem seems to be real and appears to be some combination of
> Debian/Ubuntu + Emacs.
>
> Considering the popularity of Debian-based distros, may someone take a
> closer look on what may be going on? Since the latest Emacs release also
> suffers from the problem, I am afraid that the issue will be present in
> the coming Emacs 29 as well (I recall no related fixes in recent Emacs).

I don't run Debian or Ubuntu anymore. However, I do recall that debian
does use a modified Emacs startup which is not part of the standard
Emacs distribution. They do this to enable the ability to have multiple
versions of Emacs installed at the same time.

If you are unable to reproduce the issue with an Emacs built from
sources and only from the versions of Emacs installed bia apt, then I
would be looking at the sources for the apt package and the modified
*.el files it uses as it could be something in there which is triggering
the issue (seem unlikely to be coincidence that a customization to allow
running of multiple versions is also triggering a version conflict in
org?)

.