Re: PATCH for worg about cb_thunderlink (Re: Link from orgmode file to E

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: PATCH for worg about cb_thunderlink (Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch))
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2023 07:04:17 +0100

Hi Max,

> The author suggests to install from github assets instead of official
> add-on catalog for some reason. Perhaps it is just survived since times
> when cb_thunderlink was not published yet.

My new version instructs to install the add-on from Thunderbird, with no
OS installation. It's simpler and safer.

> My idea was to push '("\\`mid:" . custom/browse-url-mid) to
> `browse-url-handlers' having (untested)
>
> (defun custom/browse-url-mid (url &optional _ignored)
>    (browse-url
>     (replace-regexp-in-string "\\`mid:" "thunderlink:/message-id=" url)))
>
> I am unsure concerning double slash after protocol since host name
> expected after double slash. At least KDE may try to resolve hostname
> and to distort URI. I hope, Message-ID never contains characters that
> may require percent encoding when used in query parameter value.
>
> `browse-url-xdg-open' had a lot of revisions before current
> `call-process' settled inside. It is the reason why I will prefer to
> avoid explicit calls to `start-process' (alternatives known to me are
> even worse) and to delegate as much as possible to `browse-url'.

My new version instructs to use standard "mid:" by just running Thunderbird.

> Since you suggest thunderlink: links instead of built-in mid:

I didn't realize that Thunderbird allows to open "mid:". I've simplified
the method.

I'm now using =cb_thunderlink= just to answer the following question, that
currently is on the wiki page:

      you need to copy the value of the Message-ID
      header, it should be possible with some add-on.

i.e. cb_thunderlink allows to build a full org link (link + description).

As it's still not clear to me how to configure browse-url, I'm still relying
on start-process.

See a new version of the patch.

Bruno