Re: POSIX TS spec reverses the meaning of TZ offset compared to ISO (was

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: POSIX TS spec reverses the meaning of TZ offset compared to ISO (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 20:59:13 +0700

On 02/02/2023 15:34, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:
Is there a strong reason to support POSIX TZ? Time zones with fixed
offsets are available as e.g. Etc/GMT-8 (unfortunately inverted sign as
well).

Because `encode-time' accepts POSIX TZ as argument. So, may as well.
Note that Etc/GMT-8 is also accepted as POSIX TZ.

"May" does not assume "should". I am leaving final decision to the person who will implement it though. I hope, there is no problem with such syntax on windows.

The disappointing issue with POSIX syntax is the case of decision of authorities to change time zone offset. It is neither regular DST rule nor constant offset. The result is incorrect mapping between UTC and local time.