Re: POSIX TS spec reverses the meaning of TZ offset compared to ISO

From: Heinz Tuechler
Subject: Re: POSIX TS spec reverses the meaning of TZ offset compared to ISO
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 08:45:51 +0100

Max Nikulin wrote/hat geschrieben on/am 02.02.2023 04:22:
On 02/02/2023 04:57, Heinz Tuechler wrote:
My impression is that many of non experts like me don't
know in which time zone they are living.

For you own time zone: Open Development tools in a browser ([F12]),
switch to console, type

     new Intl.DateTimeFormat().resolvedOptions().timeZone

Thank you, Max.
It seems to me that this shows the time zone I selected at set up of the
computer, in my case Europe/Berlin. Using package lutz in R with correct
coordinates I see Europe/Vienna, based on open street map.
Days ago I did not even know that Berlin and Vienna are in different
time zones.

I am sure there are a lot of web pages that do the same.

On linux you can use the following tool

    timedatectl

Unfortunately Emacs does not have API to obtain time zone identifier,
only offset and abbreviation are exposed by GNU libc. POSIX does not
have such requirement.

Is it trivial to find the [continent/city] timezone name to a specific
place?

For other places: since data to build time zone map are available, there
should be web sites that allows to find identifier for any location.
Sorry, I do not use them, so I can not recommend a particular one.

An application that is able to read locally installed tzdata may assist
by filtering the list by time offset or by the continent (or the ocean,
see e.g. Pacific/Apia trips across the International date line to
America and back to Asia with Australia).