Re: PATCH for worg about cb_thunderlink (Re: Link from orgmode file to E

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: PATCH for worg about cb_thunderlink (Re: Link from orgmode file to E-Mail (using kmail or notmuch))
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 23:18:29 +0700

On 01/02/2023 02:56, Bruno Barbier wrote:
I've got an initial draft. It's not exactly what I'm using, as I tried
to make the configuration OS agnostic. And I'm using Thunderbird only
for accounts where I'm forced to use Win32 (else, I'm using notmuch).

Thank you, Bruno.

Is it intentional that you and the linked page avoid cb_thunderlink page on the official add-on site?
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/thunderbird/addon/cb_thunderlink/

+To install the =cb_thunderlink=, see this web page:
+
+   https://camiel.bouchier.be/en/cb_thunderlink/installation?with_menu=1
+
+You need to install both the add-on and the OS integration.

Often I prefer to see URL I am going to visit, however in this case I would consider in-text link with description text hiding the address.

+#+begin_src elisp
+(defvar cbthunderlink-app nil
+  "The full path where you've installed your cb_thunderlink application.")
+
+(defun cbthunderlink-open (message-id)
+  "Open the given email. MESSAGE-ID is the message id."
+  (start-process "cb_thunderlink" " *cb_thunderlink*"
--------------------------------------^
is it intentional space?
+                 cbthunderlink-app
+                 (concat "thunderlink://messageid=" message-id)))
+(org-add-link-type "mid" 'org-email-open)
+#+end_src

I am in doubts if `org-add-link-type' should be recommended since

(make-obsolete 'org-add-link-type "use `org-link-set-parameters' instead." "9.0")

I checked
https://camiel.bouchier.be/en/cb_thunderlink/installation/windows
https://camiel.bouchier.be/en/cb_thunderlink/installation/linux
in both cases it promises to register thunderlink:// and cbthunderlink:// handlers. From my point of view it may be a reason to take advantage of `browse-url' package. It should allow to avoid explicit code to start process and to delegate the task to this package and to handle mid: links by `goto-address-mode' in non-org buffers.

By the way, if cb_thunderlink is more convenient than built-in way to handle mid: links in thunderbird then support of mid: URI protocol is a valid feature request for cb_thunderlink.

Let's wait several days, there is a chance that somebody else will add more comments.