Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEA

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [POLL] Proposed syntax for timestamps with time zone info (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 10:15:41 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> The real question is, can the additional complexity associated with
> including both a time zone name and an offset be justified in order to
> handle the very small number of time stamps which will fall within the
> daylight savings transition hour for those locations which have daylight
> savings? Keep[ing in mind that the complexity is less to do with the
> time stamp format and more to do with using that information in any
> meaningful sense. This, combined with the reduced readability of such
> time stamps and increased possibility of user confusion leads me to
> question if allowing time stamps with both offset and time zone together
> in the one time stamp is worthwhile.

As I originally stated in the proposal, the real usefulness of combined
offset+time zone is asking Org to double-check the consistency:

Consider a time stamp far in future [2052-11-12 12:00+08 @!Asia/Singapore]
The time zone rules for Asia/Singapore may or may not remain the same
due to political uncertainty. Today, we expect the offset to remain +08.
If it changes in future, Org will warn the user.

In addition, I find specifying both the time zone and the offset useful
for readability:

Complex time zones in timestamps will not rely on user's computer having
the up-to-date time zone database: [1916-09-12 12:00+01 @Europe/London]
unambiguously specifies the UTC offset yet emphasizing that the
timestamp is related to specific location (Europe/London, but not
Europe/Paris). In fact, one may somewhat abuse this format and specify
[1916-09-12 12:00+01 @France/Marseille] emphasizing the location.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,