Re: Bug: Math mode doesn't work if followed by a dash [9.4 (nil @ /home/

From: Berry, Charles
Subject: Re: Bug: Math mode doesn't work if followed by a dash [9.4 (nil @ /home/gutin/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build/org-mode/)]
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:42:39 +0000

See below.

> On Sep 28, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Richard Lawrence <wyley.r@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Gutin,
>
> gutin <jkabrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What I meant is that if you type
>>
>>  $*$-algebra
>>
>> and hit C-c C-x C-l, then the "$*$" doesn't get replaced with a
>> mathematical image. A similar problem happens when you export to Latex:
>> The dollar signs get escaped.
>
> I believe this is intentional. There are too many other uses of dollar
> signs that people might want to use in Org documents that might be
> broken if Org treated them as math mode delimiters; so the regexp that
> matches math mode delimiters is deliberately limited in scope.

[rest deleted]

The case Gutin describes conforms to the documentation, viz. `$x\beta$-` should
produce math mode LaTeX as I read the next paragraph.

From (info "(org) LaTeX fragments"):

   • Text within the usual LaTeX math delimiters.  To avoid conflicts
     with currency specifications, single ‘$’ characters are only
     recognized as math delimiters if the enclosed text contains at most
     two line breaks, is directly attached to the ‘$’ characters with no
     whitespace in between, and if the closing ‘$’ is followed by
     whitespace, punctuation or a dash.

But the $...$ and $$...$$ seem fragile. I recall advice to avoid them in favor

FWIW, my sanity has been aided by using yf/org-electric-dollar[1], which
inserts `\(\)` when I type `$` and leaves point where you need it to enter math
mode LaTex. A dash after the closing parenthesis is no problem.

HTH,

Chuck

[1] https://orgmode.org/list/87vc913oh5.fsf@yahoo.fr/
;; from Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr>