Re: Bug: Occasional error with recurring tasks in agenda [9.4 (release_9

From: James N . V . Cash
Subject: Re: Bug: Occasional error with recurring tasks in agenda [9.4 (release_9.4-3-ge6021b @ /home/james/.config/emacs/straight/build/org-plus-contrib/)]
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 15:21:01 -0400

>>> It seems to always work properly from the org buffer itself, so I assume
>>> it's something happening in the agenda, but I'm not sure where to look.
>>> I've tried debugging `org-agenda-todo`, but I can't see anything in
>>> askance there. Any advice as to what I should be looking for?

Trying to do more work to track this down and I'm perhaps more confused than I
was before.

I can consistently make this happen by opening my todo.org file which
contains two recurring tasks, call them A and B.

I start by putting the cursor on task A, then running org-agenda and
using that to complete task B. This then results in task A showing twice
in the agenda list and refreshing the agenda/checking the file shows
task A completed & rescheduled to the next day and task B marked DONE
and not repeated.

Trying to track this down, I see in `org-todo`, the point moves from
where org-agenda-todo positioned it in task B to inside where I had the
cursor originally in the todo.org buffer, in task A. Strangely, I see
the point changing when the `next` variable is printed out via
`message` (I can also see the point changing after logging out org-state).

If I print out either of those variables with the "%S" format string
instead of "%s", the point doesn't move.

This doesn't happen with emacs -Q, so presumably there's something in my
config that's making this happen, but I have no idea what I should be
looking for. Any suggestions?

James