Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch

From: David Arroyo Menendez
Subject: Re: The Website Revamp: The final stretch
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 05:52:12 -0400

Timothy E Chapman <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bastien,
>
> Just remembered I haven't addressed everything you mentioned here.
>
> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Also, let's remove the mini-unicorn in the top bar, it is redundant
>> and reminds me of the opening of IT Crowd.
>
> Ah yes, I see the resemblance :P I'm not sure this is a good idea though, as
> while this can be seen as redundant on the homepage, the navbar is used on
> every page. Considering that this is a site to help people learn about Org,
> I think that the visual consistency of having it on every page, and
> how that helps reinforce the association between Org and that logo is worth
> it.
> Having it regularly appear should help it stick.
>
>> - I believe there are too many pages: I'd love the website to be just
>>   one HTML page.  Rich contents should go to Worg and yes, we need to
>>   upgrade Worg's design too. Let's try moving such contents to Worg as
>>   soon as we can -- but this is not a blocker for the switch.

It seems a good idea more simple is better. There are many bootstrap
free web designs, it's a good idea for responsive, I'm using this idea
for damegender.net, damewebutils.davidam.com and
damelibraries.davidam.com. My website (davidam.com) is not using
bootstrap and I'm happy with mobiles, too.

> I think a single page might be a bit further than ideal, as I see it a
> 'core' of static pages
> for orgmode.org would be
>  - index/homepage
>  - features
>  - quickstart
>  - install

Yes, it sounds a good idea. I would add documentation (manuals, worg)
telegram, meetups, ...)

--
https://damegender.net