Re: org-store-link and help for a key

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-store-link and help for a key
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 11:32:33 +0800

> Such behavior exists for ages, at least since 8.2.10 till current master.

I can reproduce this.

The reason of error is simple: help buffers for key combinations where
not considered when writing help: link type.
Current code does not even store the link to such help buffers correctly
- when the key sequence has more than a single key only the first key
will be stored (tested in <f1> k <f1> k help buffer).
The code to open help: link type also does not know that help: link can
point to anything other than function or variable.

I can see two solutions:

1. Avoid storing links to help buffers describing key sequences. Show
   error when trying to store such link instead
2. Write proper handlers for storing and following links to help buffers
   other than just function/variable help (in addition to key sequence
   help buffers, org-store/follow-link also fails to work with
   describe-face buffers at least)
   To do this, one need to change org-link--open-help and org-store-link
   (see "(eq major-mode 'help-mode)" line).

Patches are welcome.

P.S. Would it be cleaner to have separate :store link properties for
standard link types instead of hard-coding them into org-store-link?

Best,
Ihor