org-tempo insertion incoherence (lack of indentation) or misunderstandin

From: Bruno BEAUFILS
Subject: org-tempo insertion incoherence (lack of indentation) or misunderstanding
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 07:15:10 +0200

Let us imagine this simple org file :

#+NAME: first
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem

#+end_src

If the cursor is at the last line and I want to insert an org block,
let's say an example, using org-tempo feature, I can type =<e=
followed by tabulation.

In that case I get something like

#+NAME: second
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem
#+begin_example

#+end_example
#+end_src

However if I get indentation role (for instance in exports) well I do
not expect that but instead something like:

#+NAME: third
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem
    #+begin_example

    #+end_example
#+end_src

Are my expectations (and thus my use of indentation by org-mode
understandings) wrong or is it a bug?

In the same spirit if before trying that I type tabulation then =<e=
then tabulation again, nothing is inserted, aka org-tempo seems to work
only when cursor is at the beginning of line.

Am I right? Is it a feature or a bug?

I expected that the example block would have been inserted /correctly/
indented as in my third example above.

The only solution I found for getting things right is to type spaces
instead of tabulation to let my cursor go to the right column.

Let us consider this snippet.

#+NAME: fourth
#+begin_src org
- an item
  - subitem
#+end_src

If the cursor is in the =H= position, then if I type =<e= then
tabulation everything seems right and I get the same result as in
<<third>>.

Any help would appreciated.

I use GNU Emacs 26.3 from Debian GNU bullseye (testing) and what I
think is the last org-mode version from ELPA.

#+begin_src
Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-55-gba2405-elpa @
/home/bruno/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20200907/)
#+end_src

--
Bruno BEAUFILS