Re: Bug or not a bug? dot expansion in ob-shell

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Bug or not a bug? dot expansion in ob-shell
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 19:33:26 +0200

Hi Tim,

sorry for the late reply, and thanks a lot for the clear summary.

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> It seems to me that two separate issues have been mixed up and causing
> some confusion here. However, I think it is actually quite simple once
> we consider the issues separately.
>
> Issue 1: Defining the meaning of :result value and :result output

... which is already defined in Org's documentation.

> Issue 2: Specifying what the default :result setting would be i.e.
> :result without a value/output specifier.

After careful consideration, I suggest to follow the manual here,
which says that ":results value" is the default.

After 2f534294 in master, executing shell blocks with no :results
header will output the exit code, which is the "value".

> It could be that for some languages, the default for :result should
> be :result output and for others it should be :result value.

I decided not to go that way, even though I do sympathize with Tom's
argument in the very same thread.  I think Jack makes a compelling
argument about the need to let the default always be ":results value".

It seems less random to have some users being surprised that the value
of executing a shell source block is an exit code, than to make it
necessary for all users to check what is the default result for each
Babel library.

Best,

--
 Bastien