Re: Repeating task hourly

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Repeating task hourly
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:15:18 -0300

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 11:46, Kevin Liu <kevin@nivekuil.com> wrote:

On 29 July 2020 04:06, Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> wrote:

Kevin, how do you see an hourly repeater would work with org-habit's
consistency graph? Or, more generally, what would be the purpose of an
hourly repeated habit task?

An example of an hourly repeated habit task is exercise. You might want
to stretch in the morning and then again at night.

You raise a good point that the consistency graph isn't as useful as it could be. All it shows now is that the habit was done at least once on
that day.  I think this is still a little useful, if only to visually
separate a habit from other tasks on the agenda. It could be made more
useful by replacing the * with a count of the number of times the task
was done that day, but that would be another patch.

I get why a task (exercising, taking medicine, etc) is usefully repeated a number of times a day, of course. But a regular repeating task is perfectly fine for this. Furthermore, considering the only thing org-habit does is to provide the consistency graph for the task, and if this does not really work for hourly repeaters, I still don't see the gain here. And there would be other ways, in my view more appropriate ones, to separate some tasks, if that's desired. IMHO, what you are proposing is just eliminating an error message which was deliberately placed there by the author, considering what org-habit is designed to do. But this is just an user speaking, take this as a data point.

Anyway, you have replied just for me, off-list. I presume you meant otherwise, and your point is relevant in the list, so I reincluded the CCs to it.

Best,
Gustavo.