Re: [O] make new links show as figures?

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] make new links show as figures?
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:45:03 -0400

On 2013-10-24 06:08, Carsten Dominik wrote:
On 24.10.2013, at 09:28, Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Rick and John,

On 2013-10-22 21:53, John Kitchin wrote:
Is it possible to define new links that would be rendered as inline
images?

I am imagining something like

chemdraw:benzene.png

which would show the benzene.png file inline, but when I click on it
would open a chemdraw file for editing.

unfortunately, it seems that `org-display-inline-images' has a
hardcoded regex which searches only for =file:= links.

This may be related to a question I had a couple weeks ago (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/77567). The current logic
seems to be to display inline images when the link points to an image,
it would be great to extend it when the description, or part of the
link, points to an image.

Indeed, currently this is not possible.  I would be interested to get
a patch to this effect.

Carsten-

In terms of inlining images in the description portion per the linked
posting, do you think that it should depended on the value if the
=include-linked= argument? (IMHO no, since the default usage of
`org-display-inline-images' doesn't set this argument). I would be
glad to take a stab at this enhancement.

John-
In reviewing `org-display-inline-images', and the handling of org
links in general, i see no safe (and not overly complex) way of making
added link types expand inline images. In the case mentioned, i still
feel that adding chemdraw as a babel language is the correct approach.
However, if we add the expansion of images in the description, would
that work:

[[chemdraw:file.cdxml][file:file.png]]

rick