Re: [O] odt export with 'header'

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] odt export with 'header'
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 00:00:40 +0200

Hi Christian,

[bringing this back on the list]

>Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Christian Moe <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No, I get that out of the box on a clean system, so I think you should
>>> see it too. (Along with OrgTitlePage, which is the style I actually used
>>> for testing, and OrgFrontMatter.)
>>>
>>> When modifying a style template for ODT export, the manual strongly
>>> recommends starting from an ODT document that you have already exported
>>> from Org, so it includes the styles provided by the exporter. Are you
>>> sure that's what you did?
>>>

>> Yes.  I just tried with emacs -Q and loading only orgmode (8.2.1
>> (release_8.2.1-120-g5975d7).  Basically, I only required ox-otd prior to
>> exporting my test document.
>>
>> I do get many Orgxxx templates for lists, paragraphs, ... but none for
>> pages.
>>
> It doesn't strictly have to be that style, or an Org-prefixed style at
> all, but it's strange that you don't have them.

Yes, which style is used seems not essential (as it works with my
self-created OrgFirstPage style).  But I guess, that getting (at
one point) orgmode to automatically assign the desired style to
the first page will be only possible, if the intended style is
used.

> Let's see. The Styles-and-formatting window has five tabs, for
> Paragraph, Character, Frame, Page and List Styles. But you have clicked
> the Page Styles icon, then, and not found any Org-prefixed styles there?

Correct, but see below.

> What is the value of the variable `org-odt-styles-file'? If nil, what is
> your `org-odt-styles-dir'? You should find an `OrgOdtStyles.xml' in one
> of those.

That was the correct pointer.  org-odt-styles-file is indeed nil,
and org-odt-styles-dir is pointing to the wrong directory!  I
gather that it is derived from org-odt-styles-dir-list.  That
list contains the correct directory, but only at the third
position.

<------- short excurs on org odt styles ------------

I install orgmode from git using
$ make up1; make install.

I have in my local.mk
,----
| # Where local software is found
| prefix        = /home/andreas/local/emacs/org-mode-install
|
| # Where local lisp files go.
| lispdir= $(prefix)/lisp
|
| # Where local data files go.
| datadir = $(prefix)/etc/
`----

But still the correct folder
/home/andreas/local/emacs/org-mode-install/etc/styles/ is only at
the fourth position in org-odt-styles-dir-list:

,----
| org-odt-styles-dir-list is a variable defined in `ox-odt.el'.
| Its value is
| ("/usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/" "/usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/"
"/home/andreas/local/emacs/etc/styles/"
"/home/andreas/local/emacs/org-mode-install/lisp/etc/styles/"
"/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/org/")
`----

(The third entry is even a non-existent directory.)

Isn't that supposed to be set automagically during the install process?

I have now a
(setq org-odt-styles-dir
"/home/andreas/local/emacs/org-mode-install/etc/styles")
in my .emacs
Is that the correct fix here?

-------- short excurs on org odt styles ------------->

> If you open it and search for `OrgFirstPage' or
> `OrgTitlePage', what do you find?

In the correct style file I see OrgFirstPage now.  Everything fine.

>> Any idea, what could be wrong here?

>>> That's what I get, so I don't know why your case differs. I don't
>>> suppose you have turned off inclusion of author information? Please
>>> check your export options, and what you find when you look at
>>> File > Properties in LibreOffice.
>>
>> Sorry, my bad.  I had indeed disabled the author in the export
>> properties of the subtree and did not check there.
>>
> I assume this works, then.

It does, thanks.

> And if you enable #+OPTIONS: email:t ...?

Does not seem to change anything here.

>>> Yes, this is a little more tricky than I thought.
>>>
>>> Try this:
>>>
>>> Insert > Fields > Other > Tab:DocInformation > Type:Created, Select:Date
>>>

>> Well, I changed the date in the org file (#+DATE: 2013-10-10) and I do not
>> know
>> where that value would be set in the odt.  In the standard export it is
>> included as text formatted as OrgSubtitle, so I guess it is not a field
>> value, I could display someplace else?
>>
>> The field you suggest seems to give me what it says:  the creation date.
>>

> Yes, try using a timestamp instead:
>
> #+DATE: [2013-10-10]

That works, thanks.  I do not always use a real date here (but sometimes
also sth like '3rd meeting of ...').  But that is not a real problem --
I can easily restrict myself to using real dates only.

>> [...]
>>>
>>> I'll need to get back to you on that.
>>>

>> No(t too many) worries here.  I can live with that manual interaction
>> (for now). ;-)

Thank again for all your help and patience.

Regards,
Andreas