Re: [O] [RFC] Change some defcustoms into defcont

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change some defcustoms into defcont
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:56:17 +0200

Hello,

> can you remind me what the bug was?  The taskjuggler issue?

Correct. I will fix it today.

> Yes, as I said, I do see all these problems, but I also feel the
> responsibility
> to break as few as possible existing configurations.

I understand. Though, almost any serious change breaks some existing
configuration. It is unfortunate, but I hope it will not prevent us from
correcting past, and future, mistakes. Without that right to be wrong,
we'd better plan Org development a very long time ahead and cross
fingers hoping we will never fail. Don't cross too hard.

> If you want, I can take a shot at documenting this properly.

I'm not convinced by that documentation thing, i.e. "we allow you to
change the string, but we remind you that you shouldn't do it". It even
goes against my initial suggestion, so I cannot say I "want" anything in
that area.

Unless, that is, you're talking about a deprecation warning, e.g. "In
future releases, this variable will not be customizable anymore, so be
careful when changing its default value". But, IIUC, that's not what you
want.

Nicolas Goaziou