[O] Full org-mode on unrooted Android

From: Scot Becker
Subject: [O] Full org-mode on unrooted Android
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:36:03 +0500

Just a quick note to say that it's possible to get a full Emacs+org-mode on (unrooted) Android using an app called 'zshaolin'.  You can either download the app from the Google Play store for approx $3 or download the toolchain and source from their website and compile it yourself (which I haven't tried).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dyne.zshaolin&hl=en

http://www.dyne.org/software/zshaolin/
(for source, follow links to their FTP site, about 2/3 down the page)

Emacs is version 24.1.50.

The following needs to be added to the .zshrc for org-mode to work:

export TMPDIR=${HOME}/tmp

They only claim 'barebone' Emacs, and I haven't tested extensively to see what that means, but so far it works for me.

I have no affiliation with the people at dyne.org, just happy to have working portable, org-mode. I use a Bluetooth keyboard with a 7" tablet on Android 4.3.

It looks like compiling in this case may not be for the faint of heart, but if someone tries it, perhaps they can post any notes to the list here.

Cheers,
Scot