emacs-erc

Re: Stray/unreferenced timeouts in erc-cmd-IGNORE?

From: Alcor
Subject: Re: Stray/unreferenced timeouts in erc-cmd-IGNORE?
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2024 20:14:17 +0200

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

>> If I'm reading the code correctly, it does not seem to check if a
>> timeout for unignoring the given nick already exists either. So
>> re-ignoring the same nick with a different timeout would create an
>> *additional* timeout.
>
> Yes, keeping tabs on these by retaining a handle while they're still
> ticking seems like a good idea.

I think so too.

> In any case, future plans shouldn't prevent us from improving the
> current situation. If that's something you (or someone out there) feels
> like taking on, please do.

I'll see whether it can be solved with a minimally-intrusive fix,
perhaps using a simple (weak) hash table mapping nicks -> timeouts. If
that works, good. If not, a more comprehensive solution would probably
be better in the long run.

>> and whether I should open a bug for it.
>
> Yes, please open a bug if you don't mind. As to whether the lack of
> cancelability constitutes a formal bug in this case, who really knows?
> While it's definitely undesirable, I'm not sure we can prioritize fixing
> it without an attendant patch. IOW, please don't feel slighted if I mark
> it as a wishlist item initially.

Done. Filed as https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=70127 with
Severity: wishlist.

Cheers,