emacs-erc

Re: bug#68265: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Simplify alternate text insertion for o

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#68265: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6: Simplify alternate text insertion for outgoing messages
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 13:47:21 -0800

"J.P." <jp@neverwas.me> writes:

> Tags: patch
>
> Spoofing messages submitted at the prompt is currently a chore. By this,
> I mean inserting chat content that differs from what's actually sent.
> For years, users have resorted to all manner of awkward finagling
> (typically in `erc-send-modify-hook' members) to accomplish "simple"
> things, like finding where the leading speaker portion ends and the
> message proper begins.
>
> The proposal here is to add an "alternate text" slot to the `erc-input'
> object passed around by `erc-pre-send-functions'. Use cases include
>
>  - language translation
>  - sub-protocol encoding
>  - the IRCv3 multiline extension
>
> For the upcoming release, users will already have to recompile their
> dependent packages, so we might as well seize this opportunity to modify
> core schemata (if truly warranted).
>
> Demo implementation for an existing third-party package forthcoming.
>
> Thanks.

Although I've installed this feature [1], the larger initiative of
exposing a more convenient and predictable message-insertion API remains
unresolved. Please see bug#67677 for additional progress toward this
end, including updated patches relevant to the above mentioned demo.
Thanks and closing.

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=d6be068f