emacs-erc

Re: repeat

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: repeat
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 16:15:39 +0100

J.P. wrote:

> It looks like /R requires knowing the relative location of
> a message in your history. Perhaps that's reasonable if you
> can spot it at a glance and not have to scroll back too far.
> But much like with interactive command-line programs, query
> output can amount to many screenfuls.

Yeah, that is just a feature that was possible to implement
easily so I did but in practice remains pretty much unused
since the command is always used to repeat the very
last command.

> FWIW, the completion/recall functions I mentioned up thread
> provide such feedback and are likely on par with /R in terms
> of keystroke economy.

If you look at the positions of those keys on the keyboard you
realize it is a very close and fast and short command. It also
has a much better attitude or feel to it since it is an IRC
client command directly compared to iterating prompt history.
It is cooler and more fun for its more specific use case.

> Overall, it seems like this is almost meant to cater to
> a narrower set of users with more selective needs or a more
> specific purpose (like interacting with a bot you have
> intimate knowledge of).

That's exactly right, that's the use case :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal