emacs-erc

Re: bug#29108: 25.3; ERC SASL support

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: bug#29108: 25.3; ERC SASL support
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 06:42:19 -0700

> I think that's up to the Network Security Manager level -- the user can
> customise this there.

Hi Lars, my apologies. I obviously wasn't being very clear but was
telepathically referring to client certs being transmitted in the clear
for TLS versions less than 1.3. I'm not sure any `nsm-protocol-check--*'
functions screen for this specifically because it's probably/rightly
considered less of a security issue and more of a minor personal-hygiene
matter.

And not that I'm privy to much in core IRC circles, but I suspect the
occasional smattering of attention paid to this topic can be chalked up
to bored devs just having a say about more exciting things like
dissidents and tracking. So for ERC's purposes, I guess there's little
sense in warning about what's probably just an iffy corner case in the
end. Thanks, and sorry for the distraction.