Re: [elpa] New package: vc-got

From: Omar Polo
Subject: Re: [elpa] New package: vc-got
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 15:59:50 +0200

> Omar Polo <op@omarpolo.com> writes:
>
>> The code can be found here:
>>
>>      https://git.omarpolo.com/vc-got
>>
>> or here as a mirror:
>>
>>      https://github.com/omar-polo/vc-got
>>
>> and I've just tagged the 1.0 release.
>
> Which of the two URLs are preferred?

I prefer the one on the domain I control and that's the one I'm
advertising as URL in the package header, but for packaging purpose I
think github offers less downtime than my humble server :)

>> Regarding the code: I've discovered vc-do-command too late and rolled my
>> own vc-got--call in the meantime.  I do intend to make more use of the
>> existing vc interface in future versions.
>
> Would you want to update the project before it is added to ELPA?

I don't have strong opinion on this.  I'm not in a hurry to publish it!
I just wanted to finally tag a release since it's from last December
that I'm (very very very slowly) working on it, and at that point I
thought of sharing it.

> I might
> also be able to find some time to comment on it if you are interested

If you have some time to spare, I'll be more than happy to receive
comments on the code, thanks!

> (I too released a vc package (vc-backup) just a short while ago, so I
> might be able to give some input of value).

I remember reading on this list about vc-backup, it's been on my todo
list try it but I still haven't found the time, really like the idea
thought!

>> Talking about updates, one thing that I'm not sure is how to handle
>> them: if tomorrow I'll release a v1.1 I do have to ping emacs-devel,
>> right?
>
> Not necessarily. The ELPA package specification can also contain an
> :auto-sync attribute, indicating that the ELPA server will regularly
> check for new updates (update-commits are identified by bumping the
> version tag in the package header). If you can ensure that all
> contributors have signed the copyright assignment and can maintain basic
> repository hygiene, the packages can be updated manually too.

Ah right, now I remember reading about the :auto-sync attribute.

Yes, all the code was written by me with help from Timo, and we both
have a FSF copyright assignment.  I've also noted this requirement in
the ``Contributing'' section of the readme.