Re: [elpa] New package: vc-got

From: Omar Polo
Subject: Re: [elpa] New package: vc-got
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:00:50 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 31.08.2021 16:10, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> What do people think about the need to have Got support in Emacs OOTB?
>> Is it important enough to have it in core?

I don't think; while I really like using got and developing vc-got as
part of emacs itself would simplify some aspects for me (there were some
changes in VC between emacs 27.2 and the current master), it's not that
widespread to justify moving into core IMHO.

All the code was written by people with a copyright assignment, and I'll
ensure that this will hold true in the future, so if it becomes really
popular we can always move it to core later, right?

> It's an alternative client for Git repositories, right?
>
> We already have vc-git.

Yes and no.  got uses the git format for *bare repositories* and in this
sense it's always possible to switch back and forth from got and git and
collaborate with other peoples.  (in fact I'm using it to track the
emacs repo on my machine).  But Got it's not a Git porcelain, it is
another VCS that happens to use the same format for storing
commits/tags/branches.