Re: Gitlab Migration

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 10:36:09 +0200

>> How do you end up with the same commit twice?
>
> I no longer remember the exact details, it was something we bumped
> into during discussions when Emacs switched to Git.  AFAIR, it had to
> do with working on a feature branch and frequently rebasing it onto
> the latest master (so that the feature branch doesn't diverge too
> much), then later merging from the feature branch to master.

Frequently rebasing onto latest master is fine. What happened was that
people first did a 'merge-based workflow' by merging master into their
feature branch, but then later *also* decided to rebase. You mustn't mix
these two different workflow: you either regularly merge 'master' into
your feature branch, or you regularly rebase. Never do both.

-David