Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 11:21:18 +0300

> Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:42:14 +0200
> From: "Drew DeVault" <sir@cmpwn.com>
> Cc: <dgutov@yandex.ru>, <larsi@gnus.org>, <danflscr@gmail.com>,
>  <philipk@posteo.net>, <theo@thornhill.no>, <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>  <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> On Sun Aug 29, 2021 at 9:38 AM CEST, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Rebasing is not just intimidating, it has real problems as well. One
> > problem that particularly bothers us is that it could, in some
> > circumstances, cause the same commit to be present more than once.
> >
> > I find a hard requirement to use rebase to be user-unfriendly, because
> > some of us simply don't want to rebase, for reasons of preserving the
> > original history of the development. Is rebasing really a requirement
> > in SourceHut?
>
> No, it's not a requirement. It's just something I think is a good idea.

OK, thanks.  Then I don't think we have a problem here.

> How do you end up with the same commit twice?

I no longer remember the exact details, it was something we bumped
into during discussions when Emacs switched to Git.  AFAIR, it had to
do with working on a feature branch and frequently rebasing it onto
the latest master (so that the feature branch doesn't diverge too
much), then later merging from the feature branch to master.

> > > It depends on all of the participants Cc'ing you. It is common practice
> > > to "reply all" on mailing lists for this reason.
> >
> > Too many people forget to "Reply All", we have this all the time on
> > our current bug tracker. Is there a way to arrange for automatic
> > subscription to a discussion once you post to that discussion?
>
> This is probably something which can be done. Can you file a ticket?
> Send an email to ~sircmpwn/lists.sr.ht@todo.sr.ht with the title in the
> subject line and the body as markdown.

Will do.