Re: GitLab feature request compared with SourceHut

From: Drew DeVault
Subject: Re: GitLab feature request compared with SourceHut
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 09:10:30 +0200

On Sun Aug 29, 2021 at 5:03 AM CEST, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > Maybe if Emacs makes the first move, perhaps other projects may follow
> > the same path.
>
> Sorry -- what is "first move" that is being proposed?
>
> We want to host Emacs on a GNU server, not someone else's.

You can run the sourcehut software on GNU servers, it is 100% free
software, mostly AGPL. I would encourage you to do so.

However, I think that this is a rare case where you could also use our
servers if you so desired. The software on our servers is not patched,
it's the same free software you would run on yours. If you did some
reading on sourcehut, I think you would find our philosophy quite
compatible with GNU's ideals. It would be nice to have the emacs vote of
confidence in our services, in the strategic sense of mutual support
between organizations which believe in free software.

SourceHut is a straight upgrade from the existing mailing lists, and
supports the existing workflow almost 1:1, perhaps pending some minor
enhancements around attachments. The web tools to accomodate the
pull-request generation are at a prototype stage, but will be improved.
The free software ethic is here to stay.