SourceHut for Emacs (was: Gitlab Migration)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: SourceHut for Emacs (was: Gitlab Migration)
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:04:10 -0400

Reading this discussion made me realize why I'm rooting for SourceHut:
it's the only such tool I've seen whose goals align exactly with ours.
Both philosophically (most other tools just happen to be Free Software
and but are more philosophically aligned with Open Source) and
technically (it aims for first class email support while providing as
much as possible of the shiny web features of other systems).

So at this stage, I personally don't see much point looking for other
tools.  Instead I'm just wondering how to get us to use SourceHut
(i.e. how to resolve the problems that might stand in the way, such as
getting an instance up and running on GNU machines, starting to use it
"on the side" to see in practice what issues we'll need
fixed/improved/added before we can really switch, etc...).

An obvious first issue is the one seen in Theodor's example:
https://lists.sr.ht/~theo/public-inbox/%3Cm1r1edold3.fsf%40Frende-MacBook.lan%3E
where the rendering of this email in the web interface completely hides
the actual patch being sent.

        Stefan