Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:05:50 +0200

On 28 August 2021 09:55:18 CEST, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, larsi@gnus.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>>  danflscr@gmail.com, philipk@posteo.net, sir@cmpwn.com
>> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:04:55 +0200
>>
>> ** Submitting patches by email.
>> It is possible to send patches using a web interface.  It works by using
>> the `prepare a patchset` button on your own clone.  So the process
>> is usually:
>>   - clone the repo
>>   - pull it locally
>>   - do the work
>>   - push the work
>>   - use the `prepare a patchset` button or `git format-patch`
>
>Does it mean simply sending a patch via email is not supported?  E.g.,
>I could easily create a patch without a separate clone of the
>repository, using just the single clone I have already.  You seem to
>describe something much more complicated, which starts with a separate
>clone?

No need for a clone. Mailing a patch is enough. For the web UI thing though I
think you need one.

>> ** Offline review
>> An issue (if not already subscribed to all) can be subscribed to your
>> own email and be sent to you.  The whole thing or parts of it can be
>> downloaded as an mbox.
>
>Who gets automatically subscribed to an issue?

Collaborators to the repos. Otherwise everyone that manually subscribe. You can
follow specific issues as well.

>> ** Reviewing by email
>> You can use inline comments [1]
>
>Do I just respond to an email with the patch, or do I have to use some
>special format for the inline comments?

I don't know, sorry. I've just seen them.

>> ** Merge request creation
>> Honestly I don't really understand this one...
>
>It's about being able to submit a PR via email.

You provide PRs via mail just by sending to the correct list.

>> * Code should be accompanied by documentation
>>
>> This seems trivial, and can be done using the CI on patch submission
>> running a job, if I understand that point correctly?
>>
>> * Formatting code commits
>>  Same as above
>
>FWIW, I very much doubt these two could be automated, except for very
>simple and almost trivial requirements.  How can a bot decide whether
>a change requires documentation changes, and if so, which ones?  Even
>our formatting of log messages is informal enough to defeat
>automation.  This has to be part of patch review by humans.

I won't argue with this.

>> * Bug reporting
>> `report-emacs-bug` can still be used, as well as clicking in the web
>> ui. This is where I'm not sure about not using email.  I think you still
>> need to mail the bug, opened by a mailto:
>
>That's be a disadvantage in my book.

Yes it might be.

>> I hope this helps a little.
>
>It does, thanks a lot!