Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 10:55:18 +0300

> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, larsi@gnus.org, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,
>  danflscr@gmail.com, philipk@posteo.net, sir@cmpwn.com
> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:04:55 +0200
>
> ** Submitting patches by email.
> It is possible to send patches using a web interface.  It works by using
> the `prepare a patchset` button on your own clone.  So the process
> is usually:
>   - clone the repo
>   - pull it locally
>   - do the work
>   - push the work
>   - use the `prepare a patchset` button or `git format-patch`

Does it mean simply sending a patch via email is not supported?  E.g.,
I could easily create a patch without a separate clone of the
repository, using just the single clone I have already.  You seem to
describe something much more complicated, which starts with a separate
clone?

> ** Offline review
> An issue (if not already subscribed to all) can be subscribed to your
> own email and be sent to you.  The whole thing or parts of it can be
> downloaded as an mbox.

Who gets automatically subscribed to an issue?

> ** Reviewing by email
> You can use inline comments [1]

Do I just respond to an email with the patch, or do I have to use some
special format for the inline comments?

> ** Merge request creation
> Honestly I don't really understand this one...

It's about being able to submit a PR via email.

> * Code should be accompanied by documentation
>
> This seems trivial, and can be done using the CI on patch submission
> running a job, if I understand that point correctly?
>
> * Formatting code commits
>  Same as above

FWIW, I very much doubt these two could be automated, except for very
simple and almost trivial requirements.  How can a bot decide whether
a change requires documentation changes, and if so, which ones?  Even
our formatting of log messages is informal enough to defeat
automation.  This has to be part of patch review by humans.

> * Bug reporting
> `report-emacs-bug` can still be used, as well as clicking in the web
> ui. This is where I'm not sure about not using email.  I think you still
> need to mail the bug, opened by a mailto:

That's be a disadvantage in my book.

> I hope this helps a little.

It does, thanks a lot!