Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages proposal: tree-sitter

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages proposal: tree-sitter
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 00:00:24 -0700

> I'd be much happier if you could coordinate with Yuan Fu
> <casouri@gmail.com>, who works on integrating TS into the Emacs core.
> This stuff should IMO be in core, not in 3rd-party packages, let alone
> on nonGNU ELPA.

I guess I should have reached out sooner, communicating that I’m about to do
it, but on the other hand I don’t want to just come in and talk about what I’m
going to do and such and such, before I actually did anything. And my general
understanding is that there aren’t much interest in integrating tree-sitter
into the C core. So...

> Can you tell which functionality is missing from Yuan Fu's work that
> is supported by those 3 packages?  Can that functionality be added to
> Yuan Fu's code?

The code is at https://github.com/casouri/emacs, in the “ts” branch. The main
things to look at are src/tree-sitter.c, lisp/tree-sitter.el, and
doc/lispref/parsing.texi.

There is an on-going discussion about tree-sitter API in Emacs, starting at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-08/msg00246.html

Yuan