Re: Gitlab Migration

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 08:57:08 +0200

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 10:38:18PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I wouldn't agree with you that young people don't know how to use
> > email [...]

> I think the issue is not use of email as such, but use of mailing-lists.
> In my experience the reluctance to use email is that they feel
> uncomfortable sending email to a potentially large number of persons.

Sometimes it comes down to trivial technique things.

For better or worse, some MUAs [1] and corporate-influenced
workflows have trained a significant part of the population to
top-quote.

While this might work in the context of personal mail, it fails
miserably in mailing lists, yielding a longer thread practically
unreadable.

On top of that, some MUAs (again, the same) don't know what a
Message-ID is and thread based on Subject. Resulting in monster
threads with the incredibly informative Subject "Re:".

The result is: "mail is broken". No, it's not. It's some MUAs,
and then, the whole rest, which, like lemmings on the cliff,
try to clone that disfunctional behaviour.

But yes, mail is broken.

Cheers

[1] I'm looking at you, Microsoft

 - t