Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Adding major or popular language modes to Emacs distribution
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 09:04:40 +1000

Hello,

I notice some glaring omissions of modes supporting major / popular languages like php, haskell and wikitext in Emacs, though there are widely used versions available externally as packages.

I feel it is important that Emacs support these languages natively.

What is the process of adding these modes?  My understanding is:

1. Ask the maintainer of a mode to contribute the mode to Emacs.
2. If for some reason the maintainer is unable or unwilling to add the mode, someone writes the mode and contribute to Emacs.

In step 2, is it conventional to add the mode to GNU ELPA first, before moving it into Emacs itself?

I am asking because I am interested in working on some of these modes.

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>