Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 00:10:29 -0400

> But you only do this for packages in elpa/nelpa?

Yes, I do use `elpa-admin.el` for other packages.
It requires a fair bit manual fiddling currently, because I haven't
tried to provide a clean UI, but that can be done.

> That does not handle random git repos from www?

It will handle some random git packages, but not all, no.
If the tool becomes popular enough, the pressure for packages to follow
the required convention should be enough to make sure most packages can
be handled (assuming that convention is sufficiently flexible).

> This does not manage dependencies for git repos whithout spec.

It partly does since the dependencies are (or can be) listed inside the
<pkg>.el file.

And it partly doesn't because those dependencies are specified as
package names rather than URLs, so it lacks a way to find the URL
corresponding to a given package name.  But those dependencies can be
fetched from ELPA archives as well (you can mix and match, some packages
installed from ELPA and some installed from Git).

        Stefan