Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 17:33:05 -0400

>> But I don't think we can change the C-c <left> etc bindings for those
>> that enable winner-mode explicitly -- I think that's likely to be very
>> annoying for those users.

We can expose winner commands by default under some appropriate
key-binding without it affecting the result of people who enable
`winner-mode`.  Basically `winner-mode` would then just be a backward
compatibility minor mode that provides the feature under the old
key-bindings.

> I also think it's a bad idea to change some keybindings, especially if we
> know that some people like them and have been using them for ages. (I've
> gotten plenty of bad feedback for the users of my Emacs packages for doing
> such changes in the past) Changes to keybindings are considered breaking
> changes by many people and those should be avoided.

We try to keep the "old way" working or provide a one-liner recovering
the "old way", indeed.
That doesn't prevent changes (nor does it prevent complaints,
admittedly, since you can't satisfy everyone every time).

        Stefan